- About Us
- Why the Cockerel?
- The History of the Museum
- History of the Museum 1900-1983
- History of the Museum 1983 - Present
- The Cowle Trust
- Special Events
- School Holiday Activities
- Knitting Picnic Party
- Shakespeare Festival
- Garden Party for Democracy
- Future Exhibitions
- Lost for Words
- Previous Exhibitions
- 2018 Exhibitions
- 2017 Exhibitions
- 2016 Exhibitions
- 2015 Exhibitions
- 2014 Exhibitions
- 2013 Exhibitions
- 2012 Exhibitions
- 2011 Exhibitions
- 2010 Exhibitions
- 2007 - 2009 Exhibitions
- The Museum Collections
- Collections Enquiries
- Recent Acquisitions
- Mystery Object
- Highlights of the Collection
- Paintings from the Collection
- Wilf Merrett Postcard Collection Gallery
- Featured Objects - The Lawnmower
- Featured Object - Wallbridge Painting
- Featured Object - Spanners
- Featured Object - Baughan Motorcyle
- Featured Collection - Casein
- Featured Collection - Prinknash Pottery
- Featured Objects - the Berkeley Maces
- Featured Object - Anglo Saxon Mill Paddles from Nailsworth
- Collections Policies
- World War One Commemoration Events
- 2014 - One Man's War
- 2015 - Technology and Innovation
- 2016 - The World at War
- 2017 - The Home Front
- 2018 - Medals, Souvenirs and Legacy
- Echoes in Enamel Project
- Stories from the Collection
- Trephined Skull
- Bragg Clock
- Beaker Boy
- Woolly Mammoths
- The Story of Animation in Stroud
- Friends of the Museum
- Friends Events
- Friends Contributions
- The Gate to The Secret Garden Print
- The Walled Garden Project
- Walled Garden Plan
- Walled Garden Brief History
- Walled Garden Project Photographs
- Secret Garden Public Photography Day 2013
- The first Walled Garden Residency by Quercus
- Only the Flame Remains: A Collection of Poems
- Museum Volunteers
Little is known or recorded about the garden. Archaeological evaluation work carried out in 2006 revealed very few finds other than humble 19th and 20th century pottery shards.
The earliest known map showing the garden, in traditional four-square layout, was published in 1819. It was one of many thousands of working productive kitchen gardens serving country houses across Britain, before the devastating years of the First World War.
Walled gardens such as this one supplied households with fruit and vegetables all year round, as well as cutting flowers to decorate the house.
The garden is Grade II listed and is approximately 50 meters by 40 metres in size. It adjoins the 17th Century Mansion House which is now the Museum.
The Walled Garden forms an important part of the heritage of the park, alongside the Mansion House and the surrounding Stratford Park estate.
The Garden has the potential of offer new opportunties to those who currently use the Museum and those who may not have thought of using or visiting the Museum before.
The Walls of the Garden are made of two different materials. On the outside the course is Cotswold Stone and inside it is constructed of masonry bricks.
The masonry bricks heat up easily in the sun and the Cotswold stone acts as an insulator by keeping the heat in the garden. This enables owners to grow productively and for a longer period than the seasons allow.
Naturally, the walls also provide security and protection from the elements people and animals!
Did you know?
Until the Museum and Museum in the Park Friends launched the Walled Garden project public access has never been possible to the 'hidden' garden. This project will change that and make public access the norm.
Related External Articles
Plan your visit
Select a date to see what’s on. We are closed on Mondays (except Bank Holidays)