- About Us
- Why the Cockerel?
- The History of the Museum
- History of the Museum 1900-1983
- History of the Museum 1983 - Present
- The Cowle Trust
- Special Events
- Garden Party for Democracy
- July Festival Weekend 2018
- Future Exhibitions
- Arthur Penn: Apple Tree Moon
- Yasemin Wigglesworth: A4
- Hannah Dyson: Landscape and Fairytale
- Stroud School of Art Show 2018
- Previous Exhibitions
- 2018 Exhibitions
- 2017 Exhibitions
- 2016 Exhibitions
- 2015 Exhibitions
- 2014 Exhibitions
- 2013 Exhibitions
- 2012 Exhibitions
- 2011 Exhibitions
- 2010 Exhibitions
- 2007 - 2009 Exhibitions
- The Museum Collections
- Collections Enquiries
- Recent Acquisitions
- Mystery Object
- Highlights of the Collection
- Paintings from the Collection
- Wilf Merrett Postcard Collection Gallery
- Featured Objects - The Lawnmower
- Featured Object - Wallbridge Painting
- Featured Object - Spanners
- Featured Object - Baughan Motorcyle
- Featured Collection - Casein
- Featured Collection - Prinknash Pottery
- Featured Objects - the Berkeley Maces
- Featured Object - Anglo Saxon Mill Paddles from Nailsworth
- Collections Policies
- World War One Commemoration Events
- 2014 - One Man's War
- 2015 - Technology and Innovation
- 2016 - The World at War
- 2017 - The Home Front
- 2018 - Medals, Souvenirs and Legacy
- Echoes in Enamel Project
- Stories from the Collection
- Trephined Skull
- Bragg Clock
- Beaker Boy
- Woolly Mammoths
- The Story of Animation in Stroud
- Friends of the Museum
- Friends Events
- Friends Contributions
- The Gate to The Secret Garden Print
- The Walled Garden Project
- Walled Garden Plan
- Walled Garden Brief History
- Walled Garden Project Photographs
- Secret Garden Public Photography Day 2013
- The first Walled Garden Residency by Quercus
- Only the Flame Remains: A Collection of Poems
- Museum Volunteers
The Miniature Museum of Museums has arrived!
What happens when artists are tasked with reflecting the stories and themes of not one, but three Gloucestershire Museums? Well now you can find out by visiting the Museum!
The Friction Project: a Miniature Museum of Museums, is produced by Flow Contemporary Arts. The project presents a unique interactive artwork created by Tara Downs and Bart Sabel inspired by the collections of three Gloucestershire Museums; The Holst Museum (Cheltenham); the Museum in the Park (Stroud) and the Waterways Museum (Gloucester).
The artists invite you to be seated at the desk and allow your own ingenious mind to be tickled by sounds from space, the workings of a brain that is a constellation of coggage, stirred by the symphonic universe of the gramophone planetarium, and pedal your way round a pianola textile coding machine roll…oh, and don’t forget to open the drawers and peep in from other angles!
Kevin Ward, Museum Development Manager had this to say about the work "It has been a revealing and rewarding process working with Tara, Bart and the other museums on this project. The final piece features so many stories and themes which are unique, and at the same time, common to all the museums. It is a wonder to behold and we are delighted it is able to be shared with our visitors - they have much to discover!"
Tara reveals a little more about the project: "Inspired by examples of inventiveness and creativity oozing from the 3 museums, our desk whirs and stirs with turns of various machinations - how else to conjure up the drive of canal mania engineering? Or the revolutions of technologies manufactured in the Stroud valleys – and the experimental, enquiring and sensitive mind of a composer such as Holst? The installation reflects on the interplay of imagination, industry and craftsmanship. It has a life and logic of its own for you to discover. Encompassing an era from the 1820’s – 1930’s, it selects innovations and highlights significant social influences and effects – and pulls on threads that stretch out to today and beyond."
The exhibition continues until 30th May 2015.
More on the project can be read on this dedicated blog: https://miniaturemuseum.wordpress.com/
Supported by Arts Council England.
Image shows the Miniature Museum of Museums on display in the Collectors' Room at the Museum in the Park.
The exhibition at the Museum is presented in association with SVA Site Festival www.sva.org.uk
The first Stroud Shakespeare Festival
Get ready to enjoy the first Stroud Shakespeare Festival from 31st May - 2nd June 2018!
The fascination of the Museum Collection
Photographer, Theo Deproost, talks about the hidden gems within the Museum collection.
Art Lovers Weekend at the Museum
Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th March are packed full of artistic exploration at the Museum in the Park!
Cathedral of Cloth: Celebrating 600 years of Ebley Mill
Thanks to a major grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, visitors will be able to step back in time to the sights and sounds of Ebley Mill for a dramatic new exhibition at The Museum in the Park in February 2018.
Plan your visit
Select a date from the calendar to see what's on