- About Us
- Why the Cockerel?
- The History of the Museum
- History of the Museum 1900-1983
- History of the Museum 1983 - Present
- The Cowle Trust
- Special Events
- Thursday Afternoon Talks
- Festive Winter Weekend
- Future Exhibitions
- Previous Exhibitions
- 2018 Exhibitions
- 2017 Exhibitions
- 2016 Exhibitions
- 2015 Exhibitions
- 2014 Exhibitions
- 2013 Exhibitions
- 2012 Exhibitions
- 2011 Exhibitions
- 2010 Exhibitions
- 2007 - 2009 Exhibitions
- The Museum Collections
- Collections Enquiries
- Recent Acquisitions
- Mystery Object
- Highlights of the Collection
- Paintings from the Collection
- Wilf Merrett Postcard Collection Gallery
- Featured Objects - The Lawnmower
- Featured Objects - Wallbridge Painting
- Featured Objects - Spanners
- Featured Objects - Baughan Motorcyle
- Featured Objects - the Berkeley Maces
- Featured Objects - Anglo Saxon Mill Paddles from Nailsworth
- Featured Collection - Casein
- Featured Collection - Prinknash Pottery
- Collections Policies
- World War One Commemoration Events
- 2014 - One Man's War
- 2015 - Technology and Innovation
- 2016 - The World at War
- 2017 - The Home Front
- 2018 - Medals, Souvenirs and Legacy
- Echoes in Enamel Project
- Stories from the Collection
- Trephined Skull
- Bragg Clock
- Beaker Boy
- Woolly Mammoths
- The Story of Animation in Stroud
- Friends of the Museum
- Friends Events
- Friends Contributions
- The Gate to The Secret Garden Print
- The Walled Garden Project
- Walled Garden Plan
- Walled Garden Brief History
- Walled Garden Project Photographs
- Secret Garden Public Photography Day 2013
- The first Walled Garden Residency by Quercus
- Only the Flame Remains: A Collection of Poems
- Museum Volunteers
Festive Winter Weekend
Events and Activities
Saturday 1 and Sunday 2 December | Museum Admission Free
Celebrate the start of the festive season for our final open weekend of 2018 - after this we'll be closed until 1st January for the Museum's annual 'deep clean'. Drop in and join us for a glass of mulled wine or spiced berry cordial, enjoy family-friendly craft activities, have a go at old fashioned parlour games, warm your vocal chords with carols, or follow an enchanted winter trail around the secret garden. We look forward to seeing you!
Drop In Family Workshop: Christmas Gift Crafts
Saturday and Sunday | 11am - 3:30pm | £1 per gift
Make some fun and thoughtful gifts to give to friends and loved ones. Lavender bags for your linen drawers, decorative stars or gift baskets, or a colourful peg doll angel. For families with children aged 5 and above.
Drop In Family Fun: Old Fashioned Parlour Games
Saturday and Sunday | 11am - 4pm | Free
What did children do to entertain themselves on long, cold winter days before TV, tablets and all our modern-day digital devices? Step back in time to find out and enjoy some of our favourite old fashioned games with Kim Baker in Victorian costume.
Wreath Making Workshops
Saturday 1 December | 11am & 2pm | £12.50/£10 concession
Make a beautiful, traditional winter wreath to add a festive and welcoming touch to your door or table. All materials and tea or coffee provided, but feel free to bring along your own special ribbons or sparkly bits and bobs to embellish your creation. For adults and ages 16 and above.
Booking necessary as these workshops fill quickly! Please call on 01453 763394.
Carol Singing with Eleanor Holliday and Friends
Saturday 1 December | 4pm | Free
There's nothing like a good old-fashioned singsong to cheer you up as the days grow shorter and the nights draw in! Come and join in as we sing some traditional carols, led by Eleanor Holliday. Everyone welcome.
Winter Tales with Kirsty Hartsiotis
Sunday 2 December | 3pm | £5 adults, £3.50 children
Midwinter, the darkest time of the year, is the traditional time to gather round the fire and listen to tales of fantastical things. Join storyteller Kirsty Hartsiotis for seasonal tales from around the world (and close to home!) that will take you into the dark forests and the snow to discover gift-givers and snow foresters, firebirds, princesses and bears!
To book call on 01453 763394.
Did you know?
We are hosting an Illustrators' Fair the weekend of 10 and 11 November. A fantastic opportunity to explore the work of emerging artists and get started on that Christmas shopping!
The Museum Calendar
Plan your visit
Select a date to see what’s on. We are closed on Mondays (except Bank Holidays)