- About Us
- Why the Cockerel?
- The History of the Museum
- History of the Museum 1900-1983
- History of the Museum 1983 - Present
- The Cowle Trust
- Special Events
- School Holiday Activities
- Summer Events in the Garden and Park
- Future Exhibitions
- Hannah Dyson: Landscape and Fairytale
- Stroud School of Art Show 2018
- Previous Exhibitions
- 2018 Exhibitions
- 2017 Exhibitions
- 2016 Exhibitions
- 2015 Exhibitions
- 2014 Exhibitions
- 2013 Exhibitions
- 2012 Exhibitions
- 2011 Exhibitions
- 2010 Exhibitions
- 2007 - 2009 Exhibitions
- The Museum Collections
- Collections Enquiries
- Recent Acquisitions
- Mystery Object
- Highlights of the Collection
- Paintings from the Collection
- Wilf Merrett Postcard Collection Gallery
- Featured Objects - The Lawnmower
- Featured Object - Wallbridge Painting
- Featured Object - Spanners
- Featured Object - Baughan Motorcyle
- Featured Collection - Casein
- Featured Collection - Prinknash Pottery
- Featured Objects - the Berkeley Maces
- Featured Object - Anglo Saxon Mill Paddles from Nailsworth
- Collections Policies
- World War One Commemoration Events
- 2014 - One Man's War
- 2015 - Technology and Innovation
- 2016 - The World at War
- 2017 - The Home Front
- 2018 - Medals, Souvenirs and Legacy
- Echoes in Enamel Project
- Stories from the Collection
- Trephined Skull
- Bragg Clock
- Beaker Boy
- Woolly Mammoths
- The Story of Animation in Stroud
- Friends of the Museum
- Friends Events
- Friends Contributions
- The Gate to The Secret Garden Print
- The Walled Garden Project
- Walled Garden Plan
- Walled Garden Brief History
- Walled Garden Project Photographs
- Secret Garden Public Photography Day 2013
- The first Walled Garden Residency by Quercus
- Only the Flame Remains: A Collection of Poems
- Museum Volunteers
When are we open?
Our opening hours vary seasonally, for a full break down of when we are open please click here.
Booking a Group Visit
We welcome group visits at the Museum and ask that you get in contact and book before visiting.
Please use the form on this page, filling in all categories and also providing us with the following information in the 'Your Message' section:
- The name of your group/organisation
- The number of people in your group
- The date you would like to visit
- Any particular interests or requirements
- Any special access needs
After receiving your information we will be in contact to discuss further details, including fees and charges (if applicable) and to confirm your booking.
If you require any more information, please feel free to get in contact with our administrator on 01453 763394.
Why not get in touch?
Plan your visit
Select a date to see what’s on. We are closed on Mondays (except Bank Holidays)
How to find us
For your Sat Nav our post code is GL5 4AF.
From M5 Exit junction 13 onto the A419 signposted Stroud. At the Sainsbury's roundabout at Dudbridge follow the brown signs to Stratford Park and the Museum.
Eventually you will go over a mini roundabout for the turning to South Gloucestershire and Stroud College, please turn left at the next mini roundabout into Stratford Park.
From Bath Follow the A46 to Stroud Town centre and follow the brown signs to Stratford Park and Museum. After you pass the Tesco roundabout, go across one mini roundabout (at the top of the hill) and turn right at the next into Stratford Park.
From Cirencester Follow the A419 to Stroud, turn onto Dr Newtons Way (which avoids the town centre), and follow the brown road signs through the centre to Stratford Park and the Museum. After you pass the Tesco roundabout, go across one mini roundabout (at the top of the hill) and turn right at the next into Stratford Park.
There is free parking in the Leisure Centre Car Park.
The Museum is a short walk from the Car Park, follow the signs which lead past the front of the Leisure Centre and down into the park, bearing left.
From town (if parking in town, or arriving by train) the Museum is a 10 to 15 minute walk. Alternatively catch Bus Number 67 from Merrywalks to Tesco, it is then a two minute walk to the Museum which is across from Tesco.
Coach parking is available at the top end of the Leisure Centre car park. Unfortunately, there is no Coach drop-off or parking directly outside the Museum.
There are designated parking bays directly outside the Museum. Enter Stratford Park and keep to the left, go past all the main car parking areas. The road rises up to a barrier. Use the intercom on the driver's side to gain access (this is controlled by the Leisure Centre, not the Museum). Follow the signs and road right around, past the back of the Leisure Centre, through a small car park next to the Leisure Centre, then turn left (into the park) and immediately left again into a tree-lined avenue to arrive outside the Museum. Be aware of pedestrians. Please park in the designated area by the Museum railings, not on the turning circle in front of the gates and the Mansion House. When leaving by this route the barrier goes up automatically.
Rail and Bus
Railway Stroud town centre - 15-20 minutes walk - see Walking Guide above.
Bus Arriving Merrywalks, Stroud to Museum - 10-15 minutes walk (or catch Bus Number 67 from Merrywalks to Tesco - 2 minute walk to Museum)
Coach National Express service - Merrywalks, Stroud - 10-15 minutes walk - see walking guide above
Stroud Town Centre Map
First Great Western - Trains to the South West including Stroud
Traveline South West - Public Transport Journey Planner
National Transport Direct website - National Transport Travel Information