- About Us
- Why the Cockerel?
- The History of the Museum
- History of the Museum 1900-1983
- History of the Museum 1983 - Present
- The Cowle Trust
- Future Exhibitions
- Moving Art: Animation in Stroud
- Anglia Textile Works: Spring Exhibition
- Select Festival 2017: Dis/rupt
- Adam White: Palaeontology is a Dangerous Beast
- Deborah Roberts: Grasslands of the Stroud Valleys
- Previous Exhibitions
- 2017 Exhibitions
- 2016 Exhibitions
- 2015 Exhibitions
- 2014 Exhibitions
- 2013 Exhibitions
- 2012 Exhibitions
- 2011 Exhibitions
- 2010 Exhibitions
- 2007 - 2009 Exhibitions
- The Museum Collections
- Collections Enquiries
- Recent Acquisitions
- Mystery Object
- Highlights of the Collection
- Paintings from the Collection
- Wilf Merrett Postcard Collection Gallery
- Featured Objects - The Lawnmower
- Featured Object - Wallbridge Painting
- Featured Object - Spanners
- Featured Object - Baughan Motorcyle
- Featured Collection - Casein
- Featured Collection - Prinknash Pottery
- Collections Policies
- Special Events
- Thursday Afternoon Talks
- Illustrators Fair
- Moving Art: Aardman Workshops
- Pegasus Art Painting Workshops
- World War One Commemoration Events
- 2014 - One Man's War
- 2015 - Technology and Innovation
- 2016 - The World at War
- 2017 - The Home Front
- 2018 - Medals, Souvenirs and Legacy
- Echoes in Enamel Project
- Stories from the Collection
- Trephined Skull
- Bragg Clock
- Beaker Boy
- Woolly Mammoths
- Friends of the Museum
- Friends Events
- Friends Contributions
- The Gate to The Secret Garden Print
- The Walled Garden Project
- Walled Garden Plan
- Walled Garden Brief History
- Walled Garden Project Photographs
- Secret Garden Public Photography Day 2013
- The first Walled Garden Residency by Quercus
- Only the Flame Remains: A Collection of Poems
- Museum Volunteers
Stratford Park, Stroud
The Museum in the Park is set in the heart of the beautiful Stratford Park, Stroud. Spanning 56 acres, the park is a great destination for everyone! As well as housing the Museum, there is the Stratford Park Leisure Centre with both an indoor and outdoor pool, alongside gym facilities and tennis courts. With large grassy lawns, two children’s play area, a lake, woodland and an arboretum and of course the Museum, it’s a wonderful place to spend the day.
Records of the Stratford name date back to 1307. In 1653 that Edward Stratford sold the land to a Stroud mercer, Nathaniel Gardner. In the next few years the Park’s iconic mansion house was built. The date 1674 and the initials GG (for Giles Gardner, his son) are inscribed above one of the doorways. The house and land changed ownership a number of times until the death of the last private owner, George F. Ormerod in February 1934, followed a year later in April 1935 by his wife, Lillian E. Ormerod, at which point the Stratford Park estate was then purchased by Stroud Urban District Council.
After coming into public ownership the land was developed, with the addition of a bowling green and tennis courts, followed by the building of an outdoor swimming pool in 1937. Now, over 75 years later the estate is still in the hands of Stroud District Council and as a result The Museum in the Park has taken up residency in the estate’s beautiful mansion house.
We hope to tell the full story of the Stratford Park Estate as a longer term aim of the Walled Garden Project.
The Biodiversity Newsletter
In 2010 to celebrate the 75th Anniversary of Stratford Park coming into public ownership, Mike McCrea the Park Supervisor launched a monthly Biodiversity Newsletter. It is a fascinating summary of the rich and varied wildlife activity going on in our beautiful park.
To read the newsletter, simply click on the edition you're interested in below.
The Museum in the Park is not responsible for the content of the newsletters.
The Model Railway
Stratford Park is home to a miniature railway, run and maintained by Stroud Society of Model Engineers. For a timetable of public running events, please download the PDF below.
The Bands in the Park
Stratford Park bandstand hosts a number of bands on Sundays during the summer season (end of May to end of August). Please click here to view a full list of the dates and bands on the Bands in the Park website.
Did you know?
We run a variety of different walks around the park? To see what we have coming up, please visit our Calendar page.
Related Internet Articles
Plan your visit
Select a date to see what’s on. We are closed on Mondays (except Bank Holidays)