- About Us
- Why the Cockerel?
- The History of the Museum
- History of the Museum 1900-1983
- History of the Museum 1983 - Present
- The Cowle Trust
- Future Exhibitions
- Moving Art: Animation in Stroud
- Anglia Textile Works: Spring Exhibition
- Select Festival 2017: Dis/rupt
- Adam White: Palaeontology is a Dangerous Beast
- Deborah Roberts: Grasslands of the Stroud Valleys
- Previous Exhibitions
- 2017 Exhibitions
- 2016 Exhibitions
- 2015 Exhibitions
- 2014 Exhibitions
- 2013 Exhibitions
- 2012 Exhibitions
- 2011 Exhibitions
- 2010 Exhibitions
- 2007 - 2009 Exhibitions
- The Museum Collections
- Collections Enquiries
- Recent Acquisitions
- Mystery Object
- Highlights of the Collection
- Paintings from the Collection
- Wilf Merrett Postcard Collection Gallery
- Featured Objects - The Lawnmower
- Featured Object - Wallbridge Painting
- Featured Object - Spanners
- Featured Object - Baughan Motorcyle
- Featured Collection - Casein
- Featured Collection - Prinknash Pottery
- Collections Policies
- Special Events
- Thursday Afternoon Talks
- Illustrators Fair
- Moving Art: Aardman Workshops
- Pegasus Art Painting Workshops
- World War One Commemoration Events
- 2014 - One Man's War
- 2015 - Technology and Innovation
- 2016 - The World at War
- 2017 - The Home Front
- 2018 - Medals, Souvenirs and Legacy
- Echoes in Enamel Project
- Stories from the Collection
- Trephined Skull
- Bragg Clock
- Beaker Boy
- Woolly Mammoths
- Friends of the Museum
- Friends Events
- Friends Contributions
- The Gate to The Secret Garden Print
- The Walled Garden Project
- Walled Garden Plan
- Walled Garden Brief History
- Walled Garden Project Photographs
- Secret Garden Public Photography Day 2013
- The first Walled Garden Residency by Quercus
- Only the Flame Remains: A Collection of Poems
- Museum Volunteers
The museum is offered around 100 objects or object groups each year. On average we accept items from around 75% of those offers and in 2014 we accessioned somewhere in the region of 700 individual objects into the collection.
All offers go through a process of assessment and investigation before a decision is made about whether to keep them or not - more information about this process can be found here.
All new acquisitions are added to the Accession Register as well as to our computerised database.
This page will highlight some of the most interesting recent acquisitions.
More recently acquired objects can be seen in the Museum in the Recent Acquisitions case, located in the Collectors Room.
70 Years of Stroud Festival
Stroud Festival is an organisation that has brought art, music, poetry and drama to Stroud and the Five Valleys since 1946, often with an annual celebration of the arts each autumn.
In more recent years the company has distributed funds on behalf of the Margaret and Netlam Bigg Trust – local patrons of the arts who left a bequest to promote education in the arts within the District of Stroud.
Stroud Festival puts on events such as opera, ballet and choral music and backs festivals such as the Stroud Festival of Nature and Stroud Book Festival.
To celebrate 70 years of Stroud Festival, a selection of programmes from the 1960s and 1970s are now on display in the Recent Acquisitions case.
The soda siphon is the newest of many items in the collection relating to the old Stroud Brewery.
Stroud Brewery began in 1760 when Peter Leversage established a brewery at his home in Middle Lypiatt. In 1793 the business was moved to Rowcroft in Stroud. Joseph Watts joined the company in 1800 and took it over in 1818, leaving it to his grandson Joseph Watts Hallewell in 1846.
In 1889 the company built offices at the junction of Merrywalks and Cainscross Road. Over the next 20 years they bought out other breweries at Tetbury, Minchinhampton, Malmesbury, Nailsworth, Mitcheldean and West Kennett. In 1928 they also bought out rivals Godsell's Brewery at Salmon Springs.
They later merged with breweries in Cheltenham and Hereford, and in 1963 the firm was taken over by Whitbreads. Production ceased at Stroud Brewery in 1967.
Soldier to Foreman
Currently on display are photographs which relate to Leonard Holder, who was born in Cashes Green. Before the Second World War he was involved in the building of Stratford Park outdoor pool. In 1939 he joined the Gloucestershire Regiment, even though he was underage. During the war he was a Prisoner of War and went missing for 2 years. He sustained a leg injury and underwent many operations. The injury plagued him for the rest of his life.
This photograph shows Leonard Holder at a welcome home party for soldiers returning from fighting in World War Two. It was held in 1943, near where the Gaumont cinema used to be.
After the war Leonard went to work in the goods section at Stroud Railway Station until it was closed in 1965. He then went to work for Redlers.
The other photograph on display was taken for a local newspaper on the closure of the goods arm of Stroud Railway Station in 1965. It shows Leonard Holder as Site Foreman.
The Dragon Brooch
This rare silver brooch set with garnets dates from the 13th century and was found by a metal detectorist working in the Stroud District in 2014.
On either side of the garnets the design features dragons whose mouths graps both ends of the pin.
The brooch has been passed through the processes of the UK Treasure Act and was purchased for the collection by the Friends of Museum in the Park in 2015.
The brooch is now on display in 'And Then Came People' - our archaeology themed room.
Did you know?
We aim to change the objects on display in our Recent Acquisitions case every 3 months. Why not pop in to the museum to see what's new?
Plan your visit
Select a date to see what’s on. We are closed on Mondays (except Bank Holidays)