- About Us
- Why the Cockerel?
- The History of the Museum
- History of the Museum 1900-1983
- History of the Museum 1983 - Present
- The Cowle Trust
- Special Events
- Thursday Afternoon Talks
- Certain Wytches Events
- Stroud Book Festival
- Future Exhibitions
- Certaine Wytches: Fear, Myth and Magic
- Cheltenham Illustration Awards: Tales Through Others Eyes
- La Nina Aurelia
- Previous Exhibitions
- 2017 Exhibitions
- 2016 Exhibitions
- 2015 Exhibitions
- 2014 Exhibitions
- 2013 Exhibitions
- 2012 Exhibitions
- 2011 Exhibitions
- 2010 Exhibitions
- 2007 - 2009 Exhibitions
- The Museum Collections
- Collections Enquiries
- Recent Acquisitions
- Mystery Object
- Paintings from the Collection
- Wilf Merrett Postcard Collection Gallery
- Featured Objects - The Lawnmower
- Featured Object - Wallbridge Painting
- Featured Object - Spanners
- Featured Object - Baughan Motorcyle
- Featured Collection - Casein
- Featured Collection - Prinknash Pottery
- Collections Policies
- World War One Commemoration Events
- 2014 - One Man's War
- 2015 - Technology and Innovation
- 2016 - The World at War
- 2017 - The Home Front
- 2018 - Medals, Souvenirs and Legacy
- Echoes in Enamel Project
- Stories from the Collection
- Trephined Skull
- Bragg Clock
- Beaker Boy
- Woolly Mammoths
- Friends of the Museum
- Friends Events
- Friends Contributions
- The Gate to The Secret Garden Print
- The Walled Garden Project
- Walled Garden Plan
- Walled Garden Brief History
- Walled Garden Project Photographs
- Secret Garden Public Photography Day 2013
- The first Walled Garden Residency by Quercus
- Only the Flame Remains: A Collection of Poems
- Museum Volunteers
Prinknash Pottery (Andrew Huckett) Collection
In 1928 Benedictine monks from Caldey Island, South Wales, founded an abbey at Prinknash, near Cranham.
In 1942, while digging foundations for a new building, they found a bed of clay and began making and selling pottery to support their community.
Both monks and lay people worked in the pottery. It was housed in wooden huts until 1974, when a purpose-built pottery was constructed.
In 1997 the pottery sold to the Welsh Pottery Company and later closed down.
Prinknash pottery made a wide range of decorative, table and commemorative wares, using several different methods:
• Stoneware - thrown on a potter’s wheel.
• Earthenware - made by pressing clay into moulds
• Slipware - made by pouring liquid clay into plaster moulds.
Prinknash pottery is best known for a metallic ‘pewter’ glaze, but blue, green, russet and other colours were also used.
All the pottery was fired before and after glazing. Some designs were hand painted or decorated with transfer prints. These were fired for a third time.
At the Museum in the Park you will find a display showing a selection from a collection of more than 400 pieces of Prinknash pottery given to the museum by the Reverend Andrew Huckett.
Did you know?
The museum's decorative art collections are extremely varied: from Majolica vases to locally produced pottery; from souvenir wares to Wedgwood
Plan your visit
Select a date to see what’s on. We are closed on Mondays (except Bank Holidays)