- About Us
- Why the Cockerel?
- The History of the Museum
- History of the Museum 1900-1983
- History of the Museum 1983 - Present
- The Cowle Trust
- Special Events
- Thursday Afternoon Talks
- School Holiday Activities
- Certain Wytches Events
- Stroud Book Festival
- Future Exhibitions
- Cheltenham Illustration Awards: Tales Through Others Eyes
- La Nina Aurelia
- Previous Exhibitions
- 2017 Exhibitions
- 2016 Exhibitions
- 2015 Exhibitions
- 2014 Exhibitions
- 2013 Exhibitions
- 2012 Exhibitions
- 2011 Exhibitions
- 2010 Exhibitions
- 2007 - 2009 Exhibitions
- Certaine Wytches: Fear, Myth and Magic
- The Museum Collections
- Collections Enquiries
- Recent Acquisitions
- Mystery Object
- Paintings from the Collection
- Wilf Merrett Postcard Collection Gallery
- Featured Objects - The Lawnmower
- Featured Object - Wallbridge Painting
- Featured Object - Spanners
- Featured Object - Baughan Motorcyle
- Featured Collection - Casein
- Featured Collection - Prinknash Pottery
- Collections Policies
- World War One Commemoration Events
- 2014 - One Man's War
- 2015 - Technology and Innovation
- 2016 - The World at War
- 2017 - The Home Front
- 2018 - Medals, Souvenirs and Legacy
- Echoes in Enamel Project
- Stories from the Collection
- Trephined Skull
- Bragg Clock
- Beaker Boy
- Woolly Mammoths
- Friends of the Museum
- Friends Events
- Friends Contributions
- The Gate to The Secret Garden Print
- The Walled Garden Project
- Walled Garden Plan
- Walled Garden Brief History
- Walled Garden Project Photographs
- Secret Garden Public Photography Day 2013
- The first Walled Garden Residency by Quercus
- Only the Flame Remains: A Collection of Poems
- Museum Volunteers
Walled Garden: Rain, rain go away, come back...
The weather has certainly played a part in the Walled Garden Project but progress continues.
Rain, rain and yet more rain! That has been picture for the last month or so.
The capital construction works are progressing well, despite the weather conditions. Although speaking to the Site Supervisor, whilst wet has been a pain with the site being so clayey, this was preferential to being very cold! Through good planning they’ve been able to keep the work progressing by completing different parts depending on the weather conditions. The material for the hoggin path and the main pathway up from the Museum is a little more difficult. The latter in particular requires the surface to be dry, then dry during the laying and dry the day after! Therefore, these may not get done until later. Do take a peek through the doors in the Museum Reception next time you visit.
Our small garden volunteer team have continued to help the project. Their work remains largely focussed on landscaping/tidying rather than planting. They’ve done brilliantly chopping up the pallets from the construction work and providing a regular supply of kindle for sale at the Museum. They’ve also done a super job turning over the lawn area and seeding it (see photo).
Our current challenge is to raise funds to plant the Walled Garden and complete the 'soft landscaping'. The Garden will have a range of planting that will provide inspiration, enjoyment and learning opportunities. Once the planting is established (which can be at the mercy of the weather) we will be able to welcome visitors into the Walled Garden and celebrate this wonderful project and all those who have contributed to the success we are sure it will be.
The photograph shows an oblique aerial view of the Garden from the Leisure Centre roof - the lawn seeding by the volunteers is clearly evident!
For more on the Walled Garden plan visit: http://www.museuminthepark.org.uk/walled-garden-project/
More information about the Friends of the Museum can be found here: http://www.museuminthepark.org.uk/friends-of-the-museum/
Older Blog Items
Walled Garden - Springing into Life
This time last year the hard landscaping of the Walled Garden had just been completed - difficult to remember now, how it looked!
Walled Garden - Now Open!
The Walled Garden is brought back to life...
Walled Garden - Secrets to be revealed
A lot has been happening in the background in the Walled Garden...
Plan your visit
Select a date from the calendar to see what's on